Monday, January 05, 2004

Mon, Jan 5, 2004

Mon, Jan 5, 2004
2:30 p.m.
Antelope Community Park
cool, clear 50's

Everything is damp from the rains. Short new green grass and growth is beginning to hide the fallen leaves and debris. Jays and magpies call back and forth. A small group flies into one of the oaks and an argument erupts, then dies down.

The sun is warm on my shoulders. A welcome change from the frosty night, I am such a fair weather creature.

Dirt brown oak leaves are scattered all over the ground. The dirt of the path has been kicked a bit, disturbed by foot prints to reveal a smooth dark brown river rock, something I find frequently while digging in my garden. The oaks are mostly naked now, and I can see large nest in several, which I guess are hawk's nests. What else would build so large a nest here? I'm sitting at the crest of a hill where I can see most of the park, near what I first called the woodpecker oak. I see no woodpecker today.



The air is so clear that I can see the Sierra, covered in snow. A thin cloud weakens the sunshine and it feel a little snowy here, too. It's been freezing overnight for the past few nights, generally as cold as the valley gets and plenty cold for me. A slight breeze has begun to blow.

Now I can hear the voices of smaller songbirds but they mostly hide in the trees. Not near as many voices as I've heard here in warmer weather. My fingers are beginning to sting - it's about time to pick up the kids from school.