Friday, February 20, 2004

taking a break

Feb 20, 04
Kohler School
1:45 p.m.
cloudy, cool, wish I had grabbed my jacket...

Just finished my last class of the week, school is still in, last hour on Friday afternoon.



Fourth graders garden in a small square in front of the office - some other group is singing "The Ants Go Marching" so that it echoes out over the parking lot. The trees in front of the school are still bare of leaves, the lawn below them kept green. If I listen past the sounds of school, I just hear a couple jays in the distance, a mourning dove fly over head, the call out of coo-ooo-ooh from a nearby perch, heard but unseen. The sun tries to break out from the clouds, casting pale shadows on the page. A seagull flies over silently and I can just hear a couple smaller chirps over the boisterous fourth graders, now being called back to the classroom. A breeze tries to blow my page over my writing hand. And now I see and hear four pigeons perched on the power line, joined at a distance by smaller twittering sparrows or finches, who have a quick argument and fly off again.