Sunday, November 07, 2010

prophecy of hope

first stage of collage work done
After months of preparation I've finally begun to put together my piece for the Covenant Artists' Art of Christmas show at Oak Hills Church.

This has been tough for me - maybe that's not the right word - I've felt an unusual amount of pressure to do this piece justice to the concept: it's based on scripture prophesying the coming of Christ, which is the tie to Christmas.

There are actually several chapters from Isaiah and some from Jeremiah that are in the physical work - you can see it down the left side of the work in progress in these photos.
aerial view of my work table
So throughout all these passages, Israel and people in general are referred to as trees and forests. Isaiah talks about how God is going to punish Israel for worshiping other gods by burning them down like a wildfire in a forest and letting the king of Babylon chop them down - then chopping down the king of Babylon. It's in this context that God then promises the hope of Immanuel, or God With Us. Then Isaiah 11:1 says, "Out of the stump of David's family will grow a shoot - yes a new Branch bearing fruit from the old root."

Being a tree fanatic, these scriptures really resonate with me & I wanted to find a way to illustrate them, but having an idea and then going out and trying to photograph it is a pretty tall order sometimes.
first layer of paint - working on an easel now
So that's where the pressure started -and I decided that I was going to do this large four-by-four-foot piece just for kicks. It's actually the biggest piece I've done so far and after I had the panel custom made, I discovered it doesn't quite fit in my car! Thankfully, Phil, my friend who built it, was able to bring it to my house so I could work on it and I'm sure I'll find some way to deliver it for the show & get it to my midtown studio for display later...

And then there's the focal point of the work - not a photograph, but the stump with the shoot - marking another shift in my work, at least this time. At this point, I'm finally feeling like it's all coming together, but it has certainly been stepping stones of faith to get to this point.

I'm actually used to this final stepping stone - having all the painting come together and getting done in time - of course, there's the little part of getting it to the show, but I'll figure that out in the next week, I'm sure - since that's when I have to have this done!

4 comments:

Danny said...

Love the look of this piece, Judith, as well as the thoughtfulness behind it. Hope to see it in person someday.

Best,

Judith said...

Thanks Danny! I'm getting more excited as I work - I'll post more this evening - jm

Unknown said...

Judith, this is coming along so nicely! Can't wait to see it in person. Thank you for sharing....

Anonymous said...

Judith, I am intrigued by your piece. I can't wait to see it in person. See you at our next meeting...
-Raulin