Thursday, August 02, 2012

Garden Seeds

Sometimes inspiration comes when I least expect it. Though usually my art starts with photography, sometimes it starts somewhere else, like while I was gardening recently. Ok, so mostly I was cleaning up from my serious lack of gardening, but that's gardening, right?

Anyway, in my cleaning up, I emptied a pot that once had a living plant and uncovered a really interesting rootball. I instantly knew it was destined for something besides the green waste bin, so I put it inside on the kitchen table, to keeps dogs from chewing it up before it could fulfill it's destiny. At some point shortly after that, I realized that it was destined to become the root structure for a house. We often talk about "putting down roots" when we talk about our homes, so this just seemed like a natural illustration fort home series.

Pretty soon I was going through my collection of wood houses that I've been building and found the perfect house, then I envisioned a structure that would simultaneously house the roots and support the house. Not being quite that handy with woodworking, I took the project to someone who is very handy. I'm so grateful to Phil the Wood Guy! (without Phil I would be lost...)

So Phil built a structure for my roots, doing just what I had envisioned but somehow I had envisioned too small and now my house is out of proportion, so I started looking att houses again but nothing was quite right. Wouldn't you know that a quick eBay search produced a little wood house of the perfect proportions? What could I do but put my bid in? As fate would have it, my new little house is now on it's way and I'm one step closer to putting my vision together.

Here' a couple photos of the rootball in it's frame and the too-small house. I'll be sure to post more as this process continues.

No comments: