Thursday, September 25, 2003

vacant lot

Sept 25, 2003
4:45 p.m.
vacant lot next door to Capital Ballet Center
warm - 80's clear skies, still air

The trees at the back of this vacant lot nearly always catch my eye as I pass, preparing to turn right past them into the parking lot for Deidre's ballet class. Today the light hits just right and I can't help but stop to make an image. There's nowhere really to sit besides a large hill of dirt dumped by contruction or a patch of sticky weeds. I go back to sit in the car to write, but not before I drop the negative. It falls face down on dirt and rocks. I only hope the scratches give it character, or a sense of the scruffy spot it was made at. Cars are racing past in rush hour traffic and drown out what little birdsong can be heard between the rushes of traffic. Deidre should be done with class now so I better go get her or she'll spend the afternoon chatting in the dressing room.