Tuesday, September 13, 2005

en plein air

9.13.05
morning
American River Parkway
met my new plein air friends, then wandered off



Where I've come from -
Been wandering along little pathways off the main bike trail, poking around where lizards scamper away and unknown others make rustling noises in the bushes as I pass. I'm sitting at a crossroads - three main pathways branch out before me - but first I look back at where I've come from - the metaphor strikes me, this is my life - only one path where I've been, several opportunities, choices to be made lie ahead. So I stop and make a picture, then move on -



The path I choose takes me back toward the river's edge - I come into a clearing along the water, trying not to frighten the quail I see, but the whole covey flies off to hide in the brush. A pair of geese fly over head, honking as they go. All kinds of birds flit overhead - a dove here, then something smaller over there.



Poplar trees across the river.



Sitting at the river's edge, tiny fish huddle in the clear shallows by my feet. Freshwater clam shells speak of someone else's meal, thin grassy reeds grow down to the water's edge.



Starting to warm up a bit - had to take my sweater off - sitting on the path , I seem to unnerve a black lab out with her family, then I startle her family: mother, daughter, granddaughter. Not many expect to see someone camped on the trail coating Polaroid prints, old camera sitting beside her. As long as the lab keep her wetness to herself, I'll be fine.



poplars & star thistle

No comments: