Monday, March 10, 2008

norcal orchards

Mar 10, 08 - driving trek with Theresa
10:30 a.m.
Garden Hwy, near 99, just south of Yuba City
high thin clouds, weak sunlight, no wind

naked orchard - walnuts? pecans? (Walnuts.)
with wild mustard in full bloom



ground I stand on is pale, dry, hard, but a dark moist swath of deep mud surrounds the orchard, carefully forded like a small moat

The mustard smells pleasantly spicy-sweet, not too overpowering. Lots of little birds sing and chatter, an occasional crow flies over cawing loudly.


Bees buzz among the mustard
billions of tiny blooms clustered
on long stalks massing together
to create a yellow three-to-four foot tall
mass of brilliant yellow




old tree on the edge of the orchard, surrounded by old tires on the ground



Theresa takes a photo of the artist. (This is my 4x5 crown graphic, which I use to take my black & whites; you can see a piece of Type 55 Polaroid film in my hand, too. At the opposite of the camera spectrum, I use my little Nikon digital to take my color shots.)


Farther on Garden Highway...
about 1:45 p.m. - lunchtime on the side of the road - almond orchard (I'm pretty sure) just beginning to bloom (I was wrong - peaches.)


definitely one for the "crazy woman on the side of the road" series - actually IN the road for this shot -



In the orchard itself - ground dry, farm dog not far away not sounding happy with our presence - or at least not happy with something -


Wildflower "weeds" grow down the row of trees, yellow and fuscia and white, along with two-foot tall wide bladed grass.



playing with macro on the digital




Theresa breathing in the orchard.


Down 99, across to the other side of the Feather River, we pick up Garden Highway again, to take the scenic route home - Old barn at the edge of a walnut orchard catches my eye -


No comments: