Tuesday, August 04, 2009

canvases in progress

I've been working on several canvases at once, something I do now and again. I tend to work in fits and spurts at different stages of my artworks. Sometimes going out and journaling and shooting alot, then needing to do alot of work in the darkroom (I'm due for a darkroom day in a big way right now) and other times working on the final stages of several pieces at once, like I am now.

Not that it ever seems to even out, I always seem to have a huge backlog of negatives that need printing, so that sometimes it can be literally years before I get to printing a particular neg. (Other times I'll take an image from camera to final piece in a matter of weeks, sort of depends on the moving of the Spirit.)



This is the biggie I'm working on right now - 36x36" - I'd like to have it done for this Saturday's Artwalk, but we'll see if it cooperates or not - this was yesterday morning.

Also in progress are these smaller canvases, this lot is all 8x8", collaged with contact prints that were printed with overlays and thicker black borders.

Accompanied by a smaller group of 12x12" canvases - ever since the years I shot with a Mamiya 6 (which created 6cm square negs) I've had a love of the square format for artwork.

The big canvas this morning, you can see the pencil work I added yesterday, just working on the texture I had already put there. Today I'll start with acrylic glazes, I could potentially make my self-imposed Saturday deadline, if I can get enough studio time. Looking forward to the week's schedule, it's a definite possibility.


Poor little Sparky dog, just waiting for me to take a break and get in some physical activity. (Typical behavior: she jumped up into my lap, tried to chew on my hands as I typed this, then jumped back down to take a toy down the hall, then run back with a different one.) We'll get in a trip to the dogpark before the day is over, I promise. ;)

No comments: