Friday, October 09, 2009

yosmite hiking

Oct 9, 09
Yosemite
hiking to Vernal Falls with Scott & the kids this time, too -
morning
clear, cool, slight breeze

Water alot lower than in July - I'm lagging behind, stopping to take photos -



Dee stops to take some shots, too -

Dee at the bottom of the stairs, thinking they'll be fun...



The ground squirrels are just as bold as ever, one was eating from Phillip's hand and climbing on him as he ate!


Little tree with roots clinging to the granite along Silver Apron - much much less water coming down the river now compared to when we were here in July -




Standing on the footbridge just above Silver Apron - not heading up to Nevada Falls this time either. Had to leave Sparky crated at the motel so we don't want to be too late and Scott & Phil really aren't much for hiking either. Feel something tickling my wrist and I find a red ant about 1/4 inch long - AAH!


Heading back down from the footbridge - I'm still lagging behind, taking photos & gawking as I go -




Liberty Cap dominates the view from the Emerald Pool.


Amazing how trees can find just enough soil to hang on in crevices in the granite, this one just above Vernal Falls.

The falls are a relative trickle now -



Sun shining through the bigleaf maples.




On the hike down this view literally stopped me in my tracks - black oaks hugging the rocky canyon walls, still plenty of hikers in perfect 70ish degree weather.



Early evening
Deidre & I bring Sparky to the valley for a little outing before dinner - just in time to catch the low light. Lots of people in folding chairs with binoculars trained on El Capitan - watching climbers? Dee & I can't see anything with the naked eye, but it's the only thing that seems to make sense to us.








Triptych images came out crooked - later figured out my film back was askew!

No comments: