Tuesday, August 31, 2010

more daughter's hope

I wanted to explain the title I chose for this piece that I just finished and submitted to the Third Annual Art Bra Show in Sacramento. It's called "A Daughter's Hope" and I've created it to honor my friend Monique who is fighting breast cancer and her five-year-old daughter.

While I was searching for the right bra to fit my vision, I discovered that the bra that worked with the small canvas I wanted to use would be a young girl’s bra, which bothered me; I didn’t want to associate breast cancer with one so young. Then it hit me, breast cancer already was associated with one even younger: Monique’s five-year-old daughter.



I wanted the piece to reflect Monique and her experience, the way she is handling this challenge, so I decided to focus on hope, specifically hope for a cure and hope for a future with her daughter. I paired the bra with an image expressing light and hope and let the rest of the piece come together in the same organic process I generally use for my work.



Finally I added a part of Monique’s faith to the work with a verse from Jeremiah, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I pray that Monique, and others like her, will hold onto hope and win this fight and that they all will live to have a future with their daughters and sons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.