Tuesday, February 15, 2011

new series debut


I am slowly breaking down the creative barriers - deadlines are good for that, actually, and today I am meeting a deadline. I will be submitting the piece above for the upcoming 20/20 Show in May at the Kennedy Gallery Art Center. The main gist of the show is that a whole bunch of artists create a series of small works and show twenty of them on 20th Street at the gallery. The show started at the Twentieth Street Gallery a few years ago as the 50/50 Show, with each artist creating fifty works in fifty days, no small feat. Now that Twentieth Street Gallery is closed, the show's founder, Joannie Ferry, is overseeing it's transition to the Kennedy Gallery. And though I am a resident artist at Kennedy, and I will most certainly get into the juried show, I still have to submit my sample and theme and paperwork just like anyone else.


Of course I didn't just create one piece - even when I submitted to the 50/50 a couple years back, I created a couple samples, chose the one I liked best for submission and kept the others to help me remember what I'd done. The gallery holds onto the sample and I do best with a reference piece to keep me on track. So this second piece is my reference. It will also be part of a demo I'm doing in Placerville this coming Sunday - another deadline I need to prepare for. What would I do without deadlines?

No comments: