Sunday, February 06, 2011

playing in the backyard

Feb 6, 2011
afternoon
backyard
warmish, a little breezy
clear skies
shade already fully envelopes the yard


Finally testing the PX100 Silver Shade film with my SX70 camera. After carefully reading all the tips & tricks for working with this funky little film, I seem to have done alright for the first shot - the low light of the shade slows the camera's shutter too much but it's produced a double image that is actually a little charming.


I took a tip I'd found earlier for protecting the film from light as it first ejects from the camera by taping the dark slide to the camera, and then I develop by turning the film face down on my journal & keep it warm enough by placing my hand on top - having cold hands means the film stays in the right temp range (63-74*). Next shot of pistache tree branches looks nice.

I just read about the possibilities of emulsion lifts with this film, so I'll take a few more like this to try that with at a later date.




I take another photo of succulents in a little better light, leaving Moey on the other side of the pool fence. He gets down into a play position and barks at me.

I'm discovering that keeping my hand in one position the whole development time creates dark spots from the heat. This time I try to keep it warm but not too warm - a bit of a trick. It's funny to see the images go from a deep cobalt to the final sepia tones. I'll scan all these today & try to store them vertically, as that is one suggested way to prevent fading. Scans will be my insurance policy to preserve the images & test my success.


It's good to get in the journal and get into a purely experimental creative exercise - I've been a little stuck creatively & in the studio, I think I need the discipline of the journal to help get me back on track.

I got a pretty neat shot of the dogs - the light is starting to fade a bit & mosquitoes are quickly becoming a pest. The warmer weather means I need to restock the tub pond after the last raccoon raid in the fall - nothing like fish to take care of mosquito larvae.


Moey sits pretty still but not quite enough in this light - why I thought it would be better with Sparky, I don't know.


Suddenly I've taken eight shots & this pack of Silver Shade film is gone. Next pack will be for a sunnier time...

No comments: