Monday, July 25, 2011

heading back home

July 25, 11
10 a.m.
Natural Bridges State Park
Santa Cruz
sunny, light breeze, not too cool
kids playing in surf
mid tide
sea birds call out
surf crashes and ebbs



11 a.m.
just south of Davenport
Shark Fin Cove aka Panther Beach
sun holding - spotted tiny little cove from road
warnings of rip tides


As I'm busy taking photos from the cliff's edge, others come & head down the steep trail to the beach - if not for motorcycle gear & a pressing schedule, I'd be tempted to join them.





(click on panoramas to see them bigger)


Artichoke field on the plateau behind me -


Workers w/bags over their shoulders work their way through the field, picking.


12:25
Pigeon Point - Whaler's Cove
been traveling north on Hwy 1
lost sun - slipped under high overcast
bumblebee visits pale green ball shaped flowers at my feet
seal on rocky beach
waves lapping





Lone seal on beach seemed young - maybe a juvenile? - upright position until it seemed to notice me on the bluff above, then laid flat & hid behind rocks.



South end of Whaler's Cove


Whaler's Cove from Pigeon Point


Wandered around to find view of lighthouse that I liked. Pretty windy - standing just outside ropes at viewpoint but well from edge of cliff. As I'm coating the print, a gust of wind catches the negative and sends it toward the cliff's edge - I did stop to think before I leapt to secure my precious negative - not quite worth going over a cliff for it.



Scott learned a little & shared - fence around lighthouse is because the over 100-year-old brick structure lost an iron band securing the tower - trying to raise funds to restore it.

No comments: