Tuesday, December 20, 2011

finally caught up!

It's been months since I could say that I don't have any deadlines looming, and in one sense it won't be entirely true until I've got a couple things done that I'm putting together for Christmas, but as far as art business goes, I am finally caught up. Yesterday I delivered and installed "Wisdom" and "Trust" to my collector friend.

Originally these pieces were called "Compassion" and "Beckoning Path," the other works I did that these are based on. But as I worked on this new pair, that just didn't seem right, and my collector was open to me changing the titles and adding new text to this fresh pair.

This kind of commission, where I am copying work I've already done, is in some ways far more difficult than creating a brand new work. The collector has found something I've done before but it doesn't work for them, most often because the first piece has sold, or because the size isn't appropriate for their space and then I have to recapture the feel of the original work.

I always make it clear that no two works will ever be the same, which is part of the appeal of original artworks, but it always puts me a little on edge as well; I get worried that I'll somehow mess it up - maybe not a rational thing, but it's how my mind works nonetheless.

In this case, both original works had been sold and they weren't the same size, but the new pair were intended to display together, so I created them as a pair, working all the stages together on the work table while keeping reference images of the first two nearby to get me going on the right track.

Reference image of "Compassion" 12" x 12"

Reference image of "Beckoning Path" 24" x 24"


After all that working and fretting, the pieces came together and the collector and I are both very pleased...

"Wisdom" 24" x 24"

"Trust" 24" x 24"

I had intended to take a photograph of them in their new home but I completely forgot at the time... I'll have to visit them later...

No comments: