Friday, February 03, 2006

lost in the forest

Feb 3, 06

11 a.m. Sly Park
Lost Children's Forest



Last day at camp - weather has been all over: rain, sleet, snow, ice, rain again & finally clearing. A scheduled hike through the Lost Children's Forest is usurped by classroom time & lanyard making.



But the sun keeps me out and I venture alone along paths I've visited earlier in the week - becoming a little lost child myself. Sometime before, maby only a day ago, we came down through these woods to build shelters near the stream below.



Just last night we came through in the dark - at one point following the ghostly outline of the hikers in front of me by the pale light of the moon alone. This morning a whole new vision of sunlight streaming through the trees - birds singing where only the distant stream had been heard before.



"Grandpa Doug" - a 500 year old douglas fir we had been introduced to last night - I'm so pleased I found him again. Much too big around to hug, his branches home to many animals too high above my head to see.



The cabins here are named for the most common trees & animals around. Girls cabins are Black Oak (ours), Insence Cedar, Douglas Fir & Manzanita. Boys are Rattlesnake, Raccoon, Fox & Porcupine. I'm pleased with myself for being able to spot all the trees but I have no hope of spotting any of the the elusive animals.

No comments: