Thursday, June 19, 2008

remembering

As bad as it may seem, sometimes I almost get too busy at the business of art to do the actual artmaking - but today I made the time and got to work, finally finishing the piece that has been at my work table for a while now -


This piece has taken a little more time than some in this final phase of coloring, as there are a lot of little details that I really wanted to get just so - working in the texture of the bark in the trunk and all the little tiny naked branches - and then getting the color just so...


Finally done, I've titled this large version of this image with the writing and leaf overlay "Remembering Summer" (Tree Story #140.) The whole feeling of memories from when my children were smaller when I took the photo, of remembering the park there before construction and development, looking back at the fond memories of summer long after it's gone... a little melancholy but then the promise of another summer coming that you can see in the sunny little spots of color on the trunk and the leaf. That's how I try to see life in general; sometimes sadly looking back on what is gone, but always looking forward to something good again.

No comments: