Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ready to apply

I've been working on a couple pieces to apply to 20th Street Gallery's 3rd Annual 50-50 show, where each selected artist creates 50 artworks in 50 days. Part of the application process is submitting one sample 6x6" piece, so I did three so I could submit the one I felt was strongest.


These are the fruits of my labor, now I'll turn in my application packet and see what happens... I've put so much thought into the project that I think I'll do it myself regardless of whether or not I get into the actual show. Part of the application describes my theme & what my plan is for the show:

This series will be called "city of Trees" and I will be creating a mixed media collages, each having several elements:

1) One of twenty or more original black & white photographs. Images are of trees in urban/suburban settings to bring attention to the importance of our urban forests. Photos would largely be from the greater Sacramento area but might include trees in other cities.

2) Laser copies of original sketches of small birds. Bird images have two layers of meaning; the first connection of birds nesting in trees, creating their own "city" and the second, a reference to Matthew 10:29-31 that tells of God's attention to little sparrows and that he has even more concern for every human.

3) Pieces of maps, ideally of the place where each image was taken, to help create a sense of place.

4) Actual plant material linked to the tree photo either by species or form.

5) Consistent limited palette applied with colored pencils and acrylic glazes to unify each piece and the series as a whole.


I'll let you know what happens...

No comments: