Thursday, February 07, 2008

out with the crown

Feb 7, 08
morning
American River, Arden Access (near William Pond)
sunny & clear, slight breeze, not too cool

My first outing with the Crown, using two bags until my new one comes.

Water gurgles over shallows, mallards chase at each other, forage, make soft noises.



The cumbersome process and gear certainly slows me down & makes me much less prone to just start shooting anything. I almost left this particular spot without making an exposure at all, but I was enchanted and wated to capture a sense of the serenity here.

An egret sits nearby, nearly center in my image, but looking much like flotsam on a piece of debris in the shallows -

A pair of Canadian geese decide to check me out, I catch them on slide film, maybe a transfer later. Not offering food to them, they move on.



I'm wandering with Theresa, lost in her own creative world, we get a little farther down the footpath, see tiny finches in trees, another view of the river catches my eye -



Down again to the river's edge I'm drawn. The shore is largish river rocks, six inches to a foot across, with water between many - a good storm would put them all under water - the constant rush of the water in the shallows here puts a distance between this place and the bustle of humanity just beyond. Here the bustle is all geese honking at each other.



We start over the bike bridge - the view is wonderful, if hampered by protective bars - here humanity buzzes by on bicycles, skate, jogs, walks by with four legged companions. The birds sing out regardless and the sun warms my back: all is right with the world.



South side of the river is Goethe Park - bare cottonwoods stand like sentinels, keeping watch until warmer weather brings more people to this spot.

No comments: