Wednesday, February 06, 2008

planting a forest

Well, I've been a pretty busy bee but just not blogging it - actually I got so caught up in the creative process that I didn't want to do much else -

I'm working on the Forest, part of a tree show I'm participating in this coming April. I made a bunch of Polaroid transfers for it last week, then the canvases came a couple days ago, smelling like fresh primer as I unwrapped them all. At this point there are 24 canvases and 23 Polaroid transfers, which isn't quite how it's supposed to add up, but I'll get more of both later. I wanted to get it rolling before I dove into all the supplies. Besides, it somehow seems better not to spend it all at once - faulty logic, I know, but I'm an artist, not a CPA, okay?

So I did manage to take a couple photos the other day when I first started laying out the transfers on the canvases -





You can see I'm adding leaves to the mix, too - all different kinds of oak leaves, since the images are different oak trees - I've been handcoloring each of the transfers with pencils, then laying each one on a canvas with the leaves, in a semi-random pattern. The idea is that there will be repeated images, but none exactly the same, each on different paper or whatever, and Polaroid transfers never come out the same anyway. And of course, there are all different combinations of images and leaves.



Today I colored the last of this first batch of transfers & started the collaging, using gel medium. This is all a total experiment for me, so while I wait for the first two to dry so I can see if anything unexpected happens, I'm writing this, sort of working off the excess excited energy. I've got ideas for the rest of it, but I'll wait to tell you and just let the plot unfold...

No comments: