Saturday, March 05, 2011

putting it out there

One of the hardest things I do is submit my work to juried shows. It's nerve wracking, handing my soul to a stranger to judge, hoping that they'll like what I do, validate me, accept me. It doesn't matter how many times I've gotten into a show or how many times I've been rejected, it's always the same gut-wrenching rock in the pit of my stomach feeling.


This time the show is St. John's Religious Art Festival, a biannual show here in Sacramento that's been going on for nearly seventy-five years. Last time I was not only accepted, but awarded first place for my Mustard Tree piece but this time the curator is Scott Shields, the Chief Curator for the Crocker Art Museum - no pressure there at all...


So I'm dropping off these works today to be judged and scrutinized and I'll try not to be too anxious about the whole thing.

2 comments:

debby said...

Hi Judith, wanted to tell you how much I loved the piece with the red 'cross' on it-saw it the other day in a different place--Covenant artists blog?

Anyway, I 'friended' you on facebook, but I don't really do facebook, so likely won't see anything there. Is that where you put the notices of your meetings? If so, I'll try to check in.

I won't be able to attend tomorrow night, but plan to keep that date open after this! Hope to see you next month.

Judith said...

Hi Debby! Thank you so much - you can see "Prophecy of Hope" with the red cross in my studio at Kennedy Gallery right now - they're always better in person.

Don't worry about not being on Facebook very much, I send out all the Covenant Artists communications on email - you should have gotten one yesterday. ;)